Friday, February 14, 2014

Valentines Day

So today is February 14, 2014. For months I've been looking at this as "The day I leave for Breakaway", "The day The Fault in Our Stars trailer comes out" but it dawned on me that today is also Valentine's day. Wow.

So yay. It vday! I got some chocolate and candy and stuffed animal frog. Lovely. But in all honesty, I am not a huge fan of this holiday. It's just so...specific. It's like saying "Let's make a holiday for people who own iPhones", "Let's make a holiday for because who like the color green,". And maybe it wouldn't be so bad if we did it like the old times, where it was a feast dedicated to a saint. Like whoever decided that? Yeah I know the story of St.Valentine, yeah. But really a National Holiday? I can imagine it now.
"National lemonade day? No...National nail polish day? Nah. Hey! Remember that saint guy Valentine?"
And I'll admit, it was so much more logical in the year 496 when a saint was arrested for performing illegal weddings and illegally ministering, and wrote a fair well card that said "Your Valentine" on it to his jailers daughter before being  executed. It seemed a good thing to have a feast and celebrate in his honor. Unfortunately, few people in America actually know this story, so the holiday has become a completely different thing. Completely.

All that to say, Valentine's Day used to be so.sensible. Now, I'm just in it for the chocolate. Sometimes I think it would be worth it to give up my phone to live a few hundred years back when society had, like, a clue. 
-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment