Monday, March 17, 2014

St. Patrick's Day

So it's been a while, my friends! Yeah, so I haven't talked to you guys in a few weeks. But OBVIOUSLY the appearance of a historical holiday will pull me out from the shadows. You know, just so I can complain about it.
For those of you who don't know, Saint Patrick's story is extremely inspiring. Patrick was the son of a deacon and the grandson of a priest so obviously he was not foreign to concept of Christianity. What most people don't know is that Patrick was actually from England, and was kidnapped by Irish pirates when he was 16, so around 417 AD. He spent around a decade in Ireland as a slave and while he was there converted into Christianity. This makes sense since he spent years slaving and probably had nothing to think about except his past life and all the theology his family probably talked about. Eventually, God sent him a message to run away where he would find a ship to take him home. But here comes the remarkable part: He went back. He went back to the place that abused him, enslaved him, and he preached the gospel to them. Ireland: one of the most Roman Catholic places in his area and Patrick, a born and raised Protestant, ministered there. So in the early 1700s an annual feast is held in his honor, a day to remember and appreciate the forgiving, humble Saint that ministered to Ireland.

So of course, the modern holiday is nothing like that. I mean, everyone knows that four leaf clovers have nothing to do with this holiday because Patrick actually illustrated with a three leaf clover (three leaves, Father, Son, Holy Spirit, connect by the stem) I mean...everyone knows that right? Right?

I always have this nit to pick with how the whole of millions of people celebrate St. Patrick's day, and Valentine's Day, and Christmas, and Easter, and all of these strictly Christian holidays. I kinda get Saint Patrick's day, like, okay, Ireland has a certain right to it, but other than that...I mean, I respect Hanukkah! And yet the majority of the entire world doesn't have the decency to respect that the Son of the God we worship has a holiday to commemorate His birth, and they still go off and spend hundreds of dollars on meaningless items, blaming it all on Santa Claus. Then there's my personal favorite, The Easter Bunny! Oh, that's rich. "Lets take this holiday, hmm, looks like a serious holiday to celebrate the resurrection of a son of a god which this religion worships, pretty much the very core of their belief, lets make it an international holiday, paint eggs, and tell people its all about a bunny!" Yes, very rich.

So, yeah, I think that St. Patrick's day should probably be a little more restricted to the people who actually have something to be thankful to him for. Why should people celebrate a holiday if they don't believe its worth celebrating, ergo, they believe that the event or person benefited modern society in a significantly positive way. I mean, I believe that St. Patrick benefited modern society in an EXTREMELY significant and positive way, thus, I celebrate. But the 21 year old across the street who is drunk right now on green beer...he doesn't think that.

"Gosh, Sarah, you complain about everything." Yeah well, the world is pretty messed up. Irrelevant quantities of green beer and celebration is just scratching the surface of my aggravation.

So I hope that changed your view on St. Patrick's day, even in the slightest, and till next time, my friends, and Happy Saint Patrick's Day!
*cough* THREE leaf clovers, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment